Fashion is still Milan's industry par excellence, famed throughout the world. The fashion business has promoted economic-productive synergies in the city that have consolidated Milan's internationalization.
The distinguishing features of the Milanese "rag trade" are its close-knit, innovative and highly interactive network of large and small firms and craftsmen and its creative and managerial skills.
The "figures" of the fashion industry in metropolitan Milan amply reflect the importance of the sector:
- 12,000 enterprises in the textile and fashion sector;
- 3.5 billion euros' worth of exports (equivalent to 9% of the national total);
- 850 show rooms;
- 14 fashion schools attracting more than 6,000 students, especially from abroad;
- 200,000 visitors attending specialist trade fairs, such as MilanoVendeModa, Moda In, White and Neozone.
- 890,000 jobs in over 100,000 companies
- €65 bln: the overall turnover of the fashion sector (textiles, clothing, leather, footwear)
- €41 bln in exports
- €24 bln in imports
The vitality of the fashion sector in the Milanese urban area is illustrated by two important projects underway in the Garibaldi-Repubblica area of Milan: the Museo e Scuola di Moda MOdAM [fashion museum and school] and Città della moda; the latter is to be built on an area of 110,485 square metres.
Main fashion houses